|Photo by: Ketut Subiyanto|
What makes two people compatible? Is it mutual physical attraction? Is it sex? Is it that you like the same things, like pizza and basketball? Dictionary.com defines, 'compatibility' as the natural ability to live or work together in harmony because of well-matched characteristics." And according to Scott Petullo of Mystic Twins, "innate compatibility isn’t something you make, but something two people naturally possess." This would mean that true compatibility isn't something you can choose, and it isn't a matter of a couple working hard to make their differences bearable. Instead, true compatibility occurs naturally and you either have it, or you don't. So, how do you know if you're compatible with someone? Below is a list of six factors that exist when you and your partner are compatible.
1. You're physically attracted to each other - Physical attraction is what typically starts the connection between two people. It's not the most important thing in a relationship. However, physical attraction and chemistry help compatibility. It can be difficult to want a relationship with, or develop affection for, someone who is not appealing to you.
2. You like your partner for who they are - When you are compatible, you like your partner for who they are, "flaws and all.' You can't change people and if you really liked your partner, you wouldn't try to. This doesn't mean you will love all their bad habits or think they are perfect, but that you genuinely like their personality and whatever little quirky things come with it.
3. You enjoy each other's company - Let's face it, we spend the majority of our lives between work and home. It won't always be fine dining, outings and vacations. You will grocery shop with this person. You will spend many evenings in the house together watching TV. Highly compatible couples will enjoy each other's company and have a good time together.
4. You have the same level of emotional intelligence - Relationships are built on feelings and emotions. When you're emotionally intelligent, you have the ability to recognize and understand your own feelings, and your partner's. You are able to be empathetic. These qualities help an individual to communicate their needs and meet their partner’s needs as well. Emotional intelligence is sometimes overlooked when it comes to discussing relationships, but it shouldn't be. Couples with matching levels of emotional intelligence are usually happier and their relationship lasts longer.
5. You connect on an intellectual level - Sometimes physical attraction will have us overlooking a person's intellect. But intellectual compatibility should not be ignored. Intellectual compatibility can help you and your partner go beyond the surface level and have more in-depth conversations. Couples that are intellectually compatible will be able to learn from each other, and understand each other on a deeper level.
6. You have a spiritual connection - The best relationships are found among couples who share similar spiritual interests. These couples benefit from daily practices and beliefs that enhance and strengthen their bond. Such people actively work on reducing their own personality defects, which in turn, benefits the relationship. The spiritual connection is at the highest level, and when all else fails, that connection will remain. These relationships can go through difficult times, survive and come out stronger.
|Image by Mart Production|